Just added a new menu section, DNA plus paper, to the blog so that I can start to document my experiences with DNA testing. I am now beginning to see the benefits of having invested in a test and have a couple of cases where analysing matches has given me additional assurance that my paper trail research is correct. Very helpful in one case where I was not 100% certain that I was following the right line. I will be adding individual posts about these success stories.
Latest additions to the brief profiles for my end of line ancestors:
- William Watson – 4th great grandfather, born about 1792 at Ryle, Northumberland
- Joseph Hutchinson – 5th great grandfather, probably born before 1773, maybe near Felton, Northumberland
- Thomas Brown – 6th great grandfather, probably born before 1747, maybe near Felton, Northumberland
- Margaret Brewhouse – 6th great grandmother, probably born before 1747, maybe near Shilbottle, Northumberland
More details of their marriages and children and any relevant census information can be found on my end of line ancestors page.
Added brief profiles for the following end of line ancestors:
- Thomas Thornton – 5th great – probably born before 1750, possibly Hartburn
- Jane Nichol – 4th great – probably born before 1771
- Hannah Hunter – 5th great – born about 1740, maybe Elsdon
- William Thompson – 5th great – born about 1738, maybe Elsdon
- Isabel Hedley – 5th great – probably born before 1748, maybe Elsdon
- Andrew Oliver – 5th great (tentative) – probably born before 1759, maybe Hartburn
- Alice Carr – 4th great – probably born before 1791, maybe Wallsend area
Added brief profiles to the following end of line ancestors:
- Archibald Henderson – 4th great – may have been baptized in Ovingham in 1790
- Jane Turnbull – 4th great – probably born before 1792
- Thomas Newton – 6th great – probably born before 1719, maybe Felton
- Lancelot Wilson – 7th great – probably born before 1687, maybe Shilbottle
- Mary Wilson – 7th great – probably born before 1687, maybe Shilbottle
- William Johnson – 6th great – probably born before 1726, maybe Shilbottle
- John Stavers – 5th great – probably born before 1762, maybe Woodhorn, maybe Simonburn
- Dorothy Charlton – 5th great – probably born before 1762, maybe Woodhorn, maybe Simonburn
- Ann Laidler – 4th great – probably born before 1792, maybe Rothbury
- Margaret Young – 3rd great – born about 1812 at Morpeth Banks. Parents may be Thomas Young and Margaret Storey. Working to confirm this theory.
I have added a new page “End of line Ancestors” under My Family. I have now 61 ancestral lines under research which is a big step forward from the half dozen I had when I first started. During the next few days I will be adding a brief profile to each of the names giving a synopsis of facts and theories about each individual in the hope that it may attract interest from other researchers who have stumbled across or are unting for the same people.
My surname list was well overdue an update to bring it into line with my published tree. I have added 85 new names. Those which are direct line ancestors are: Brewhouse, Brown, Farside, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hutchinson, Johnson, Laidler, Mason, Milne, Moreis, Mories, Nichol, Piery, Pullen, Turnbull and Wilson.
- Margaret Jane Webb, 1921 -1999, born Radcliffe, Northumberland
- Margaret Jane Henderson, 1899 – 1982, born Amble, Northumberland
- Margaret Jane Thornton, 1871 – 1912, born Choppington, Northumberland
- Mary Oliver, 1842 – 1911, born Netherton, Bedlington, Northumberland
- Margaret Watson, 1818 – 1895, born Ulgham, Northumberland
- Mary Hutchinson, 1791 – ?, born Felton, Northumberland
- Mary Brown, 1769 – ?, born Felton, Northumberland
- Margaret Brewhouse, bef 1747, probably somewhere around Felton, Northumberland, but could be from further North or from Scotland.