Tending my tree
Some numbers and comments to help track my progress. My objective is not volume, but quality of information in the tree. I split my genealogy time between filling the gaps on the tree and fleshing out information on the people I have identified.
Where I started
When I set up the original tree structure at Easter 2010 I had fairly limited information. Knew all 4 grandparents, but beyond that things were a little hazy. All great grandparents were dead before I arrived in the world. I started this little adventure with 5 full and two half names for great grandparents, but no dates. At that stage I only had names for 3 of my great great grandparents.
6 months down the line
Amazed at the progress I have made in the past 6 months:
- All great grandparents now have names, but I am still chasing birth records for some of them.
- Have named 13 great great grandparents, plus one more who raised the child but may not have been the biological parent.
- Have several ancestors at the 3 x great and 4 x great level and have even found some 5 x greats.
- Have over 700 people in my research database. Over 500 of these are now connected into my tree. About 140 different surnames that play a role in the tree.
- Have learned the importance of primary source information, but am still a bit slow at recording my sources, so I have a big heap of certificates and other paperwork to plough through and register.
Progress was slow in 2011, but after a big push to sort through paperwork and update my tree at the start of 2012, the current status is:
- Reliable documentary evidence now traced for most of the first 5 generations and some beyond that.
- Have identified names for 15 of my 16 great great grandparents. Only great great granny Webb remains elusive.
- 3xgreat grandparents – found 17.5 of 32
- 4xgreat grandparents – found 14.5 of 64
- 5xgreat grandparents – found 10 of 128 which is a good step in the right direction
- Have just made my first venture into generation 9 with 2 Scottish 6xgreat grandparents and have other potentials, not yet confirmed
- Research database has 1861 people (some duplicates that need to be resolved), 475 marriages and there are now over 350 surnames as I have started to track my ancestors’ other descendants.
However, I am still more concerned about quality than quantity, so I am about to embark on an integrity check and remove the more dubious items that were added in my early days of research.