I have now added three more generations to my direct maternal line. Got stuck for a couple of years at Margaret Watson as the name was so common, but have now pinned her down. So far my maternal line is confined to Northumberland, but I expect it may cross the border to Scotland or hop over to Ireland if I can get further back. This is what I have at present, taking me back 8 generations to 6th great grandmother Margaret Brewhouse.
- Margaret Jane Webb, 1921 -1999, born Radcliffe, Northumberland
- Margaret Jane Henderson, 1899 – 1982, born Amble, Northumberland
- Margaret Jane Thornton, 1871 – 1912, born Choppington, Northumberland
- Mary Oliver, 1842 – 1911, born Netherton, Bedlington, Northumberland
- Margaret Watson, 1818 – 1895, born Ulgham, Northumberland
- Mary Hutchinson, 1791 – ?, born Felton, Northumberland
- Mary Brown, 1769 – ?, born Felton, Northumberland
- Margaret Brewhouse, bef 1747, probably somewhere around Felton, Northumberland, but could be from further North or from Scotland.
As you can see, my ancient grannies did not have much imagination in choosing Christian names for their girls. Thankful that my Mam decided to break the mould and I did not end up as the fourth in a row of Margaret Janes.