I am so deep into research this week that I have not had time to write blog posts or follow up on comments. Two full days in the Northumberland Archives at Woodhorn and two full days of driving round the county looking at villages and farms where my ancestors lived and tramping through graveyards with the camera. I did plan to write about finds every evening, but time has flown by as I have my cousin staying with me and joining in the fun. Bear with me and I will catch up on responding to comments in the next few days.
Since it is the end of the month I have updated the starring system on my surname list that indicates the newest names. Have to confess that this has not been an inspiring month from the viewpoint of tending the tree. Too many other commitments as the summer approaches so I have not added a single new surname to the list in June. I have found more relatives with already known surnames though, so I have not been completely idle. Any new surnames that I find in July will be flagged with two stars until the next month end.
My last post was number 150. Adding to that the 45 pages on my blog I am now beginning to amass a reasonable level of varied content. Since picking up blogging again at the end of February I have managed to produce daily posts (though occasionally posted a day or two late). I missed out yesterday, so this one is a catch-up for Monday 25 June. I also owe two posts from last week when I missed Monday and Tuesday. Plan to make up for those before the end of this week.
There have been over a hundred hits on my genealogy blog today. Not often it gets up that high. However, the statistics do not include followers, so the real number is higher than that. USA topped the list today. Recently Australia has been at the top because the alphabet series of posts were originated by an Australian and generate a lot of interest there.
I was contemplating making a couple of extra posts tonight to make up for the past couple of days when I missed out. However, having taken 5 attempts to get the first post out without a lot of mistakes I think I will quit while I am ahead……… Just some days where you have to accept that the fingers are going to tie themselves in knots on the keyboard :)
This is the first blog post I have written in Norwegian as my audience so far is predominantly UK, USA and Australia, so I hope the rest of you will bear with me and come back tomorrow :) I will try not to make a habit of it.
Nå er jeg ganske nysgjerrig. Hittil har de fleste av treffene på bloggen som viser Norge som land på statistikkene vært på grunn av at jeg selv har leste den uten å bruke admin brukeren. I dag for første gang har 25% av treffene kommet fra lesere i Norge. Jeg kan ikke la være å lure på hvem her i landet leser noe sånt :) Tar gjerne i mot kommentarer fra mine norske lesere også.
Hmmm - that little paragraph really baffled WordPress spelling and grammar checks.
Not sure I have full control over what happens when I try a different post format. This one is “Aside”. Curious to see how it will appear. Just tried applying “Status” format to a post I made yesterday and lost the heading. Have previously tried “Quote” and did not understand what I was doing. There are a few more to play with too, but I think I may have to admit defeat and read the help info first or I might end up with some very weird-looking posts. Definitely need to learn how to use the “Gallery” format so I can do some better presentations of my old photos and cemetery pictures.
Categorisation now completed with an alliterative allocation. I had fun trying to figure out how to sort my material then find alliterative category names. In addition to the categories I named in my last post I have now included: Claiming cousins, Crackett connection, Finding forefathers, Locational legacy, Obscure occupations, Research resources, Seeking surnames and Yesterday yarns. The challenge now will be to remember to use the categories when I make new posts. I can already see the advantages. Just browsing through a category can give ideas for new posts. I have not done a full QA of the categorisation yet so if you come across something that looks wrong please drop me a comment so I can fix it.
When I first started blogging I was a bit befuddled about categories and tagging. I initially used categories for surnames in my genealogy research but soon found that was not working for me. As a result I have not categorized more that a handful of posts. Having now gained more experience of writing and viewed many genealogy blogs by other authors I can now see how categories can be used to make the blog easier to navigate. All of the old categories are going to be removed this weekend and I am going to try out a new set. My set of posts named “xx years ago today” will be categorised under:
- Bygone birthdays
- Wedlock when
- Documenting demise
Among my other new categories are:
- Alphabet activities
- Publishing progress
I have now learned how to use the bulk edit function, so as the weekend progresses you should see most of my posts moved out of “uncategorized” and over to their new category. You can review the contents of each category from the panel at the right of the blog.